recipe type: main
cuisine: north indian
ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- ⅓ cup broken rice or any regular rice
- ⅓ cup moong dal/mung lentils
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 small to medium tej patta
- ½ inch cinnamon/dalchini
- 2 cloves/lavang
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 medium onion, chopped or ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or 3 to 4 medium garlic and ½ inch ginger, crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 small to medium tomato or ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 to 1.25 cups mixed chopped veggies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 2 cups water
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnish, optional
- salt as required
how to make the recipe:
- take rice and moong dal in a bowl. rinse with water for a couple of times. drain and keep aside. also chop the veggies and keep aside.
- heat 1 tbsp ghee or oil in a pressure cooker.
- add the following garam masala or whole spices – ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 small to medium tej patta, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamoms. saute till the spices crackle and become fragrant.
- add ⅓ cup chopped onion and saute them till they turn translucent.
- add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- add ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes and 1 to 2 green chilies (chopped). saute for a minute or two.
- then add 1 to 1.25 cups mixed chopped veggies along with ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder and a pinch of asafoetida. for a more spicy khichdi, add ½ tsp red chili powder. saute for a minute.
- add the rice and moong dal. mix the rice and moong dal with the rest of the ingredients.
- add 2 cups water. this much amount of water gives a khichdi which has a consistency not like a porridge, but not even dry like a pulao. for a more liquid consistency, you can increase the amount of water to 2.5 to 3 cups.
- season with salt. pressure cook for 14 to 15 minutes or for 7 to 8 whistles. when the pressure falls down on its own, remove the lid.
- serve vegetable masala khichdi hot drizzled with a teaspoon of ghee if you prefer. accompany a side veggie salad, raita, pickle or plain curd by the side. you can garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves if you want.