Homemade tomato biryani recipe and Tomato Biryani Recipe and Thakkali Biryani-Sunday Lunch Recipe of Tomato Biriyani Easy Rice Cooker Recipes
recipe type: main
cuisine: south indian cuisine
ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup seeraga samba rice, 200 grams (can use basmati rice instead)
- 150 grams tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes or 1 cup chopped tomatoes or ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon oil (sesame oil, peanut oil or sunflower oil)
- 35 grams onions or 1 small onion or ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves/pudina patta
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder/dhania powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 medium potato, chopped in small cubes
- ⅓ cup green peas/matar, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup thick coconut milk
- 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
- 1.5 inches cinnamon/dalchini
- 3 green cardamoms/hari elaichi/choti elaichi
- 3 cloves/lavang
- 1 small to medium sized tej patta
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds/saunf
- a small tiny piece of stone flower/pathar phool, optional
- 1 or 2 strands of mace/javitri
how to make the recipe:
- rinse a couple of times and then soak 1 cup seeraga samba rice in water for 30 minutes. you can even use basmati rice or sona masuri rice. after 30 minutes, drain the rice of all the water and keep aside.
- meanwhile, rinse and chop the tomatoes. add them in a blender or grinder jar.
- blend to a smooth puree. if you do not have a blender or grinder, then you can even mince or grate the tomatoes.
- remove and keep the whole spices aside.
- slice one small onion thinly and keep aside. also chop one green chili.
preparing tomato biryani:
- heat 2 tablespoons oil in a thick bottomed pot or pan. please do use a thick bottomed pan, otherwise there are chances that the rice can get browned or burnt from the bottom.
- add all the whole spices and saute them till they crackle and turn fragrant.
- now add ¼ cup sliced onions. saute onions till they begin to get golden.
- add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste. mix well.
- then add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves, 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves and 1 green chili (chopped). mix well.
- add the tomato puree. if using ready tomato puree, then add ½ cup tomato puree. mix again.
- now add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder.
- mix the masalas very well with the mixture of tomato puree and other ingredients .
- stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- now add ¾ to 1 cup of chopped veggies. i used green peas and potatoes. mix again.
- add the rice. mix the rice with the rest of the tomato masala gravy.
- add 1.5 cups water.
- then add ½ cup thick coconut milk and salt as per taste. mix very well.
- cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook on a slow flame for 18 to 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed.
- once done, remove the lid. then gently fluff the rice.
- serve tomato biryani hot with some pickle or raita of your choice.