how to make badam kaju barfi recipe
Easy Almond cashew burfi Recipe of Badam Cashew Burfi Recipe and Easy Diwali Sweets Recipes or homemade Badam Cashew Burfi Recipe
recipe type: sweets
serves: 250 grams
ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 82 grams cashews, ½ cup cashews/kaju
- 95 grams almonds. ½ cup almonds/badam
- 100 grams sugar, ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon rose water or ¼ to ½ teaspoon cardamom powder/chotti elaichi powder.
- 6 to 7 rose petals (optional)
how to make the recipe:
roasting & grinding:
- heat a pan first. then add ½ cup almonds.
- on a low flame, roast the almonds for a minute stirring at times.
- then add ½ cup whole cashews.
- now roast both the almonds and cashews for 2 minutes on a low flame. switch off the flame and remove the pan and keep on the counter. we just need to lightly roast both the almonds and cashews. no need to brown them. now let the badam and kaju cool down at room temperature. you can let them cool in the same pan or remove them in a plate/tray and then let them cool.
- when the almonds and cashews cool down, add them in a grinder jar or coffee grinder. also add 6 to 7 dried rose petals (optional). using the pulse option, grind and check. pulse or grind for a few seconds, then check. we need to get a fine powder, but dry. there should be no oil releasing from the almonds or cashews. so do make sure you don’t over do the grinding process as oil should not release from the almonds and cashews. some coarse bits of both almonds and cashews are fine. if you want, then you can also sieve the ground powder and keep aside. use a medium fine sieve and not a fine one to sieve the powdered almonds & cashews. keep aside.
- grease the back of a baking tray or back of a plate or a rolling board evenly with some oil. you can use sunflower oil. you can also grease with ghee if you want.
preparing katli mixture:
- take ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup water in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
- also add 1 teaspoon rose water. if you do not have rose water, then you can also add ¼ to ½ teaspoon cardamom powder.
- keep on low flame and let the sugar dissolve in the water. stir with a spatula, so that the sugar gets dissolved in water. there is no consistency in the sugar syrup like one string or two string. just let the sugar dissolve in the water and then proceed with the next step.
- when the sugar completely dissolves in the water, then add the almond-cashew powder.
- begin to mix and stir the mixture on a low flame.
- keep on stirring the mixture while its cooking. if there are lumps then break the lumps as you stir and continue to stir.
- the mixture would start thickening and almost come together. it will also leave the sides of the pan. when it starts coming together in one form and clings to itself, then its time to remove it. the dough will also look like a very very soft dough. another way of checking is taking a small piece of the dough and form into a ball. the ball should not stick to your fingers and be smooth.
- place the entire almond cashew dough on a work surface or a plate or bowl. don’t even bother to scrape the edges from the pan, as they are chewy. let this mixture cool down a bit, till you can handle the heat while kneading it.
kneading, rolling and slicing:
- then rub your palms generously with oil and begin to knead the mixture while its still hot. alternatively, you can also add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil to the dough and then knead.
- knead the dough lightly. don’t over do as this will release oil from the almonds & cashews. remember the dough should be hot while kneading. in case the dough is soft, then add a teaspoon of some milk powder. if the dough looks dry or dense, add a teaspoon of milk to soften it.
- flatten the dough and place it on the greased plate or tray. you can also place it on a large butter paper. the almond-cashew dough should still be hot or warm when you start rolling it. as it cools it will harden more and becomes difficult to roll.
- gently roll a bit with a rolling pin to make it slightly even.
- to smoothen the top, place butter paper or aluminium foil on top and roll more. this will smoothen the top and the badam kaju katli will have a smooth appearance. the almond-cashew dough can also be rolled between two butter papers.
- roll to get a thickness of about 3 to 5 mm. let the rolled almond-cashew dough cool completely.
- once cooled completely, slice the almond-cashew dough into squares or diamond shapes.
- using a butter knife gently remove the badam kaju katli pieces from the bottom, taking care that they do not break.
- remove and arrange badam kaju katli on a plate. serve badam kaju katli immediately or store them in air tight container.